Sunday, September 4, 2011

Travellers Tales 1

As we were about to leave hubby asks about the liquids I was carrying. Being a man he does not have the same requirements as me and me being a first time OS traveller I did not quite get it! Yes, all my containers were less than 100mil but what I did not get was that as you pass through security they want to see these in a zip top plastic bag. As the taxi arrives to take us to the airport I grab a zip top clear bag. When we get to the airport I get the fluids out of my handbag and hand luggage!! Grr..


Then we check in and the lady takes 20 mins plus trying to figure out how to tag our bags to ensure all connections are safely met. Our confidence in ever seeing our luggage again dwindles!!


Then as we get through the first bit of security I get my first ever pat down!! Broady gets his usual "random" explosives test. By this stage my nerves are slightly jaggered so the first champagne in the Qantas lounge goes down real well.


Singapore Airport is amazing. It is as big as our local shopping centre and resembles the best shopping centre you have ever seen. There is an outside cactus bar where all the smokers go. So as I am travelling with a smoker this is where we head. The heat and humidity was a shock.


Back through security again and another pat down. I have never flashed my passport so much. At last it is getting used!!


To our horror the seats we have for the 12hr plus flight from Singapore to Heathrow are dreadful. The new Qantas planes are very cramped. We were in a 3 abreast block me on the window, Graeme in the middle and a very tall well built german guy on the isle. He is not happy with the cramped conditions. Graeme is a Platinum Frequent Flyer and his profile states "must have isle seat". That went out the window. He is not happy. The hostess realises this and comes to tell him he can anything he wants, just ask. That was all except an isle seat!
So now our holiday really begins.
It is actaully Wednesday now, day 4 of the river cruise but we have been so busy I have not had time to update. Today is a little quiter.

No comments: